Saturday, 21 March 2009
Russian State Library
This library began as a collection of books and scripts within Rumyancev's Museum exposition. Since 1862 it was provided with copies of every printed publication issued in Russia. After Revolution of 1917 the library was named after Lenin and remained the main library of the country. In 1930s a new complex of buildings was found; 19-layers storage was completed by 1941 and helped to save precious funds and collections during World war II. Step by step (or rather building by building) the new complex was built and assimilated till 1960s.
In 1992 the library was renamed to Russian State one. Nowadays it's the second largest library in the world; a lot of real tresures are stored there, including absolutely priceless documents. Great granite steps, leading to the entrance, are also very remarkable, as well as statues on the roof.