"New Manezh" building was constructed in 1888 in pseudo-Russian style, popular in the end of 19th century by the "Society of electrical lighting". It served as power station and provided 120 Volt power for users delivering electricity through underground cables.
Since 1897, when the more powerful station was constructed on the other bank of Moskva-river, this building was abandoned and used as garages.
In 1995 ex-major Luzhkov transferred it to the possession of Ministry of culture and the building became art gallery "Novy Manezh".
Site of the gallery in Russian.
Posted by Irina.